Veteran's Discharge

With Thanks to Our Nations FinestAny person who is serving in the armed services in time of war or any Veterans who have served in the armed services in time of war may be eligible for a reduction on the assessed value of their property if they own property in town, or on their motor vehicle if they do not own property in town, by recording their original DD-214 (Discharge Papers) in the Town Clerk's Office. These are then forwarded to the Assessor's Office to be applied to your taxes. The cut-off date is October 1 in order for it to affect your following July's tax bill.

Duplicate copies of DD214's can be obtained by requesting and completing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. The form may be obtained by calling 800-827-1000 or by visiting the webpage for the National Personnel Records Center.

View the Dates of Wars and Other Recognized Military Campaigns and Operations (PDF) under 27-103, as amended.

For more information on town tax relief programs, please call the Assessor's Office, 860-444-5820.